Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Induction and Mentoring CAST Meeting!

Today I attended a CAST Meeting for Induction and Mentoring. It is a monthly meeting where Induction and Mentoring leads meet to collaborate, coach, and gain knowledge to make our Complex Programs successful!

We had a very special guest today.  Ellen Moir is the Chief Executive Officer of the New Teacher Center (more info here) and today she shared the story of Mrs. Hayward, the teacher who inspired her to become a teacher when she was in high school.  Ellen shared a very powerful message about the importance of our work in Induction and Mentoring as well as the importance of finding passion in our job.  My favorite quote from her speech today was, "Your job is to create opportunities for kids who don't have them.  Our job is to make sure they have a teacher who can do that."

Ellen's words stayed with me all day and reminded me exactly why I chose to become a teacher and mentor of teachers.  Like Ellen I teach to give voice to those that don't have it, to inspire dreams in those who have lost them, and to love those who are forgotten.  It is very easy to teach those who come to our class already reading and writing, but to be able to touch those who have learned to hate school, well that's where the magic is.

Thank you Ellen, for reminding me just how important my job is, for awakening my passion, and for reminding me that life is too short to be in a role that I don't love.  Yes, I love my work and will fight the fight!!!!

:) Aurene

Ellen Moir of the New Teacher Center


No comments:

Post a Comment